–2015 ITB Berlin Responsible Tourism Event–
Responsible Tourism was defined in Cape Town in 2002 alongside the World Summit on Sustainable Development. This definition, the Cape Town Declaration is now widely accepted and was been adopted by the World Travel Market in 2007 for World Sustainable Tourism Day.
It is about “making better places for people to live in and better places for people to visit.” and requires that operators, hoteliers, governments, local people and tourists take responsibility, take action to make tourism more sustainable.
Definitions by World Tourism Organization, 2004 (Known as the UNWTO)
It is like sustainable tourism, however as often the word sustainability is often overused and not understood, responsible tourism has been adopted as a term used by industry;
It is any form of tourism that can be consumed in a more responsible way.
It is tourism which:
- minimizes negative social, economic and environmental impacts
- generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities
- improves working conditions and access to the industry
- involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life chances
- makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage embracing diversity
- provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues
- provides access for physically challenged people
- is culturally sensitive, encourages respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence
In 2015, Adventure Travel Trade Association held one Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Event in ITB Berlin 2015, – the largest Travel Trade Show in this world which is held in Berlin, Germany. Tibetan Trekking Travel Co., Ltd was honored to be one of participants of this world Sustainable Tourism Event
Please view this 5 minutes long video about this World Responsible Tourism event on 2015 ITB Berlin