Ganden Monastery Academy, together with the Sera Monastery and the Drepung Monastery, is called “Great three” Gelukpa Academy of Tibet. It is located at the top of Wangbur Mountain in Tagtse County. It was built in the 7th year of the Yongle Reign (1409) during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
Ganden Monastery consists of over 50 structures and main halls include the Main Assembly Hall, Zacangs, Khangtsens, and Myicuns. The assembling Hall is the largest in Tibet and being built in the northern part of the temple and faceing south; There are three storeys with 43.8 meters wide and 44.7 meters long. It features the statues of the Maitreya Buddha and the master of Tsong Khapa, whom was the creator of Gelugpa tradition. It also contains many rare and precious cultural relics, such as Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) armor…etc,