Palcho Monastery is located in Gyantse County, also called “Bai Ju Si”. It is one of the most sacred places in Tibet, and it is also the traditional seat of the Drukpa Kagyu order of Tibetan Buddhism that was founded in 1180 AD by Tsangpa Gyare who was the First Gyalwang Drukpa. Now it is still the mmonastery that Tibetan Buddhism of Sakya pa, Gelug pa coexistence.
Palcho Monastery was founded in the first half of the mid-15th century (1418 AD – 1436 AD) and took about 10 years to complete. Because of the long history, well preserved beautiful architecture, with unqiue religious values, and the other a large number of intactly preserved exquisite murals and statues, it was listed in 1998 as the fourth batch of national key-cultural relics protection units.
The monastery is named after the Tibetan King Langdarma’s son Palcho-tsen who resided here. The main chapel Tsuklakhang was built by Prince Rabten Kunzang Phak between 1418 to 1425. Within the defense wall, other buildings were gradually established, including Kumbum stupa completed in 1427
The monastery is surrounded by towering peaks and glacier fields, which from the beginning the location was considered auspicious. In its South, North, East, it is surrounded by mountains , the whole monastery is surrounded by rivers;
How to get to there
The nearest airport to Gyantse County is Shigartse airport which is 85 kilometers east.
Palcho Monastery is located at the north side of Gyantse county, it is a short walk approximately about 15-20 minutes reachable from the center of Gyantse county.
Gyantse Bus Station
Address: Ying Xiong Middle Road
Contact: +86 892 874-2350
Altitude: 3,890 meters
Working hours: 06:30 am – 18:30 pm
Address: Samzhubze District
IATA Code: RKZ
Altitude: 3,600 meters
Contact: +86 891 6216465 / 6827727