Palcho Monastery | 白居寺
Palcho Monastery is located in Gyantse county, also called “Bai Ju Si”. It is one of the most sacred places in Tibet, and it is also the traditional seat of the Drukpa Kagyu order of Tibetan Buddhism that was founded in 1180 by Tsangpa Gyare who was the First Gyalwang Drukpa. Now it is still the mmonastery that Tibetan Buddhism of Sakya pa, Gelug pa coexistence.
Palcho Monastery was founded in the first half of the mid-15th century (1418-1436) and took about 10 years to complete. Because of the long history, well preserved beautiful architecture, with unqiue religious values, and the other a large number of intactly preserved exquisite murals and statues, it was listed in 1998 as the fourth batch of national key-cultural relics protection units.
The monastery is named after the Tibetan King Langdarma’s son Palcho-tsen who resided here. The main chapel Tsuklakhang was built by Prince Rabten Kunzang Phak between 1418 to 1425. Within the defense wall, other buildings were gradually established, including Kumbum stupa completed in 1427
The monastery is surrounded by towering peaks and glacier fields, which from the beginning the location was considered auspicious. In its South, North, East, it is surrounded by mountains , the whole monastery is surrounded by rivers;
Address & Contact
Add : 1 kilometer northwest from Gyantse | 江孜县城西北约1km处
Contact : +86 892 817-2105
09:00 am – 16:00 pm
RMB 60.00 per person
Another RMB 10.00 applied when taking photos on Kumbum
3,980 meters above sea level
Palcho Monastery Location
Praying Bliss Puja (祈愿大法会): from 8th to 15th day on the 1st month of Tibetan calendar
Pharmacist Buddha Puja (药师佛大法): from 8th to 15th day on the 5th month of Tibetan calendar
Summer Peace Puja (夏安居) : from 15th of the 6th month to 30th day of the 7th month of Tibetan calendar
Dharma Rituals (降佛法事仪轨) : 22nd on the 9th month of Tibetan calendar
Gtor Ma (朵嘛仪轨) : 25nd on the 11th month of Tibetan calendar
How to get there
Palcho Monastery is located at the north side of Gyantse county, it is a short walk approximately about 15-20 minutes reachable from the center of Gyantse county.