Tibetan Religion – Sakya (Pa)
Sakya (pa), located in the 180km southwest of Shigartse, founded in 1073 by Khon Konchog Gyalpo, whom originally was a Nyingmapa monk of the powerful noble family of the Tsang and became the first Sakya Trizin finally. Sakya Pa ruled Tibet during the 13th century after the downfall of the kings until they were eclipsed by the rise of the new Gelugpa of Tibetan Buddhism.
Sakya monastery contains some of the most magnificent surviving artwork in all of Tibet, which apparently not to have been damaged, its Mongolian style architecture is quite different from other monasteries of the rest sects of Tibetan religion, more than that, around 84,000 scrolls were found that to be sealed up in a wall of 60 meters long and 10 meters high at Sakya Monastery in 2003, which are expected to prove to be Buddhist scriptures, as well as literature, history, philosophy, astronomy, mathematics and art. Those scrolls are thought to have remained for untouched for hundreds of years.