Dowa monastery, full name “Dowa Bongya Monastery”. It is a Gelug Pa tradition, and about 15 kilometers southwest of the county seat, to the north of Dowa Village, where the township government of Qu-ku-hu of Tongren County is located.
According to tradition, it was built during the Wanli period of the Ming Dynasty, approximately 1596 AD, and was initially a branch temple of Longwu Monastery, starting as a meditation room and later developing into a small temp
In 1958, the temple had 55 monks, with three main halls totaling 120 rooms, two Angqian (abbot’s palace) with 80 rooms, around 30 monk dormitories totaling approximately 450 rooms, covering a total area of about 30 acres. The temple also had 25 horses, cultivated 3 acres of land, and had about 5000 acres of forest.
The main structures of the temple are still intact. It was opened to the public in 1980. Currently, there are 11 monks in the monastery. The main religious activities of the temple include the prayer ceremony in the 1st month of the lunar calendar, and the worshipers are the local residents of Dowa Village.