Kangmar County, also known as “Khangmar County”, is a county in the east of Shigatse City; it means “Red House” in Tibetan. Located at the northern foot of the Himalayas, 140 kilometers away from Shigatse City, and 280 kilometers away from Lhasa City,
It is a semi-agricultural and semi-pastoral border county dominated by animal husbandry. It borders Bhutan Kingdom with a border line of 78 kilometers long, It also borders Yadong County, Bainang County, Gyangtse County, and Nagarze County.
Best time to travel From May to October
Local climate Temperate plateau semi-arid monsoon climate
Most popular sites
Naining Chode is also known as “Nenying Monastery“. It is located in Nanni Township of Kangmar County, with an altitude of 4100 meters and a total construction area of 63185 square meters. It was founded in 815 AD – 841 AD, belonging to Gelug pa of Tibetan Buddhism. It is also birthplace of the Tibetan opera “Langsa Werp”. In June 1995, it was rated as a cultural relic protection unit of Tibet
Zangtsa Monastery, was founded in the early 19th century. It is a branch of Gyangtse Palcho Monastery, belonging to the Gelug pa of Tibetan Buddhism. Zangtsa Monastery covers an area of about 600 square meters, including halls and courtyards. Its hall is 4 stories high, the lower part is Sutra hall. The center of the back of Sutra hall is assembly hall, and the two sides are warehouses. The second floor of the main hall was destroyed during the “Cultural Revolution”. Then it was rebuilt after 1986 with an area of 1197 square meters. The south is the bedroom of the monastery Abbot, the east is the Dharma protector hall, and the west is Dolma Lakhang.
Aiwang Monastery, was founded in the Tubo Dynasty (8th-9th century) and covers an area of 925 square meters. The wall is rectangular, with 108 stone towers on the wall, and a 9-meter-wide gate opens in the middle of north. The layout of the hall inside the wall is a “convex” shape, and a 1.3-meter-wide corridor is formed between hall and wall. In June 1995, it was rated as a cultural relic protection unit of Tibet
Tsamar Temple is located in Lekang Village of Kangmar County, 35 kilometers away from the county seat and 4300 meters above sea level. It was founded in 1497 and belongs to Nyingma of Tibetan Buddhism, mainly worshiping Padmasambhava. The temple is composed of 8 sub-temples. There are many precious statues of Nyingma Lama made of gold and copper, as well as various pagodas and precious Buddha statues, most of which were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. The main religious activity was Mountain Cora Festival that is held on the 4th day of 6th Month in Tibetan calendar every year.
Geography and climate
Kangmar County is located in the southern Tibet Plateau and belongs to the topography of the Yarlung Tsangbo River Valley. The terrain is high in the east and west and low in the middle. The average elevation is 4,300 meters. The lowest township is 4100 meters and the highest township is 4500 meters. The altitude difference is only 300-400 meters.
Kangmar County belongs to the plateau temperate semi-arid monsoon climate zone, with distinct dry and wet seasons, sufficient sunshine, concentrated rain, annual precipitation of about 300 mm, annual sunshine hours of about 3200 hours, and annual frost-free period of about 110 days.
Population and ethnicity
As of 2013, the total population of Kangmar County was 34,000, including ethnic minorities such as Han, Hui, and Tibetan. Tibetans accounted for 99% of the total population. Among them, the population of agricultural and pastoral areas accounted for 93% of the total population.
Kangmar was part of Gyantse Dzong under the jurisdiction of Kashag regime
In 1951, Kangmar was under the jurisdiction of Gyantse County.
In 1960, Kangmar County was established under the jurisdiction of Gyantse Prefecture.
In 1964, Gyantse Prefecture was abolished, and Kangmar County was placed under the jurisdiction of Shigatse Prefecture.
In 2014, Shigatse Prefecture was abolished and the prefecture-level Shigatse City was established, and Kangmar County has been under jurisdiction of Shigatse City since then