Tianzhu Tibetan Autonomous County is abbreviated as Tianzhu County, also known as “Pari County” OR “Bairi County“.
It was called “Hwarei” in ancient times, meaning “the land of heroes”. It is located in the central part of Gansu Province. It borders Yongdeng County to the south, Jingtai County to the east, Wuwei City and Gulang County to the north, Sunan County to the northwest, and Menyuan, Huzhu and Ledu County of Qinghai Province to the west. It is 143 kilometers wide from east to west and 158 kilometers long from north to south. The total area is 7,149 square kilometers.
In 1936, The first word of “Tian Tang monastery” and “Zhu Gong monastery” were taken to be used naming this county. Tianzhu Autonomous Region was established in 1950. In 1955, it was changed to Tianzhu Tibetan Autonomous County.
Tianzhu County is now a county of Gansu province, however, it was part of Amdo region in the ancient time
Best travel time From June to October
Local climate Continental plateau climate
Most poppular sites
Dongping Ancient Cultural Site, There are 2 Neolithic Majiayao cultural Machang-type sites in Luojiawan and Xiaogou Village, Dongping Township on the west bank of the Datong River, and a large number of valuable cultural relics have been unearthed. Its discovery shows that the Tianzhu area entered the clan commune in the late Neolithic 4,000 years ago. The matrilineal and patrilineal lines alternated, but the matrilineal clan commune system was still a typical social stage.
Wushaoling Great Wall, trenches, and beacon piers,On the east side of Ganxin Road, northeast of Anmen Village, Dachaigou Town, and Nanniwan Village, Bei’anyuan Town, Wushaoling, there is a Han Dynasty Great Wall site with a total length of about 10 kilometers; Shidonggou Ming Great Wall in Jinqiangyi Village, Dachaigou Town is relatively well-preserved, about 2000 meters long.
Tian Tang Monastery is also known as “Chorten Tang Tashi Dargeyling“, It was originally the Tibetan Bon religion temple built during the reign of Emperor Xuanzong (AD 806-822) of Tang Dynasty. It converted to be a Kargyu monastery after visited by Karmapa IV Rolpei Dorje in AD 1360. Then after it was destroied by Mongol tribes, finally it surfaced as a Gelug pa establishment
Zhugong monastery is a Gelug monastery, also known as “Ganden Le Cherang“. Zhugong Temple was founded in the fifth year of Emperor Yongzheng (AD 1727) of Qing Dynasty. Because the monks who founded the monastery belonged to the Drigung Kagyu sect, therefore the monastery was named Zhugong Temple, that is homophonic of Drigung Monastery. At that time, there were more than 80 monks. In the fifth year of Emperor Tongzhi (AD 1866) and the 21st year of Emperor Guangxu (1895) of Qing Dynasty, Zhugong monastery was destroyed twice during the war, and later rebuilt as a Gelug monastery
Shimen monastery is also known as “Paling Tosam Dargeyling“. Located in Shimen Town, 13 kilometers away from the county seat, it was built in the early years of Emperor Chongzhen of Ming dynasty. The precious cultural relics preserved include the relics of the Fifth and Sixth Dalai Lama and the Ming Dynasty stone relief statue of Marici deva.
Huazang monastery is also known as “Pari Rabgye Gompa“. Located in the county seat, it was built in the Qing Dynasty. After the reopening in the 1980s, there was a Great assemblly hall and a large monk’s dormitory, it is the main places for religious people in the county to conduct religious activities.
Dongda monastery is located in Saishisi Town, southwest of Tianzhu County, it was built in the 47th year of Emperor Wanli (1620) of Ming dynasty and with a history of more than 500 years. In history, many eminent monks of the Sakya and Kagyu sects had visited the temple and presented a large number of Buddhist scriptures, Buddha statues and pagodas, all of which were the help to gradually prospering the temple.
Dalong monastery is also known as “Taklung Gon Ganden Choling“, it is located in the northeast of Tianzhu County, Songshan tan at the southern foot of Mao Mao Mountain. The founder of the monastery Lobsang Tenpa· Chokyi Nyima was a monk of the Dalong family of the Kagyu Pa, so it was called Dalong Monastery, and later, it was converted to be a Gelug pa monastery.
Geography and climate
Tianzhu County is located at the intersection of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, the Loess Plateau and the Inner Mongolia Plateau. Its terrain is high in the northwest and low in the southeast, with an altitude of 2040-4874 meters. The landform is dominated by mountains, and Wushaoling in the middle of the county stretches from east to west.
The climate of Tianzhu County is bounded by Wushaoling Mountain. shouth of Wushaoling Mountain has a continental plateau monsoon climate and north of Wushaoling Mountain has a temperate continental semi-arid climate. The climate is characterized by variable weather in spring, cold waves and strong winds; cooler climate in summer and increased precipitation; autumn, wet and rainy in the first half of autumn, rapid temperature drop in the latter autumn, and sharp decrease in precipitation; dry, cold and sunny in winter.
The annual precipitation generally decreases from northwest to southeast. The Haxi area in the northwest has an annual precipitation of 500-600 mm, and the Huang-niang-niang-tai area is the largest precipitation center at 632 mm.
Tianzhu County Population and ethnic group
As of the end of 2019, Tianzhu County has a population of 181,000, with 28 ethnic groups including Tibetan, Han, Tu, Hui, Mongolian, among which ethnic minorities account for 37% of the total population and Tibetans account for 82% of the ethnic minority population.
Tianzhu County Geographical Indication Products
Haxi Ginseng Fruit is produced in Haxi Town, Tianzhu County. The fruit is juicy, has no seeds in the abdomen, and with rich in vitamin C and six trace elements required by the human body.
Tianzhu White Yak, with pure white coat, is a yak breed with both meat and hair. In 1998, the White Yak Breeding Experimental Farm was assessed by the Gansu Provincial Animal Husbandry Bureau as the “Key Breeding Livestock and Poultry Farm in Gansu Province”
Tianzhu County Brief history
During dynasties of Xia, Shang, and Zhou; Tianzhu area was the nomad area
In Qin dynasty, Tianzhu area was ruled by Ruzhi tribe
In the early Han Dynasty, Tianzhu area was occupied by the Huns;
During the reign of Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty, Tianzhu area belonged to Wuwei County
During the period of Sui dynasty, Tang Dynasty, Tianzhu area also belonged to Wuwei County
In the Five Dynasties, it belonged to Tubo kingdom
In the Northern Song Dynasty, Tianzhu area belonged to Xiliang Prefecture; after 1036 AD, it was occupied by Xixia kingdom
In the Yuan Dynasty, Tianzhu area separately belonged to Xiliang Prefecture and Zhuanglang County.
In the Ming Dynasty, Shaanxi Xingdu Division was established, Tianzhu area was under jurisdiction of Zhuang Langwei
In the Qing Dynasty, Tianzhu area was under jurisdiction of Liangzhou Prefecture
At the beginning of the Republic of China, Tianzhu area was under the jurisdiction of Pingfan County;
In the 16th year of the Republic of China (1927), Pingfan County was changed to Yongdeng County;
In the 25th year of the Republic of China (1936), Tianzhu area was named after the first words of “Tian Tang monastery” and “Zhu Gong monastery”, and being under jurisdiction of Yongdeng County;
In the 29th year of the Republic of China (1940); Tianzhu Township was established
In 1949, Tianzhu District was established
In 1950, Tianzhu Autonomous Region (county level) was established;
In 1950, Tianzhu Autonomous Region was renamed as Tianzhu Tibetan Autonomous Region
In 1955, Tianzhu Tibetan Autonomous Region was renamed Tianzhu Tibetan Autonomous County, which is under the jurisdiction of Wuwei Prefecture;