Rabgya monastery is also known as “Tashi Kundeling monastery“. It is an important branch of Sera monastery, found in 1769 AD by a Mongol, whom was named Arik Geshe, and he was from Kokonor lake.
In the period from 1952-1958, the monastery occupied an area of 700 acres, including 12 halls, and more than 1,100 dorms for Lama, monk students; and one Palace for Panchen Lama. There were about over 1,300 monks in this monastery, unfortunately it was damaged badly in the 1960s’ of 20th century, after repairing since 1980, it now has recovered, and there are 5 halls, and more than 182 dorms
The building of this monastery have been rebuilt during the late 1990’s of 20th century; but some old religion artworks still remain, including a handfull pillar carpets. The assembly hall has a trilingual inscription above the door, and contains 64 carpeted pillars. The broad cliff behind the monastery is known as Mt. Khyung-Ngon (Blue Garuda). The top of this mountain offers a great view of the Yellow River.
It is situated in the north bank of Yellow River in Rabgya county, facing west to Yellow River, it is about 70 kilometers from the capital town of Xia-Da-Wu of Golog Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, it is Gelug pa tradition, as to be a sub-branch of Sera monastery.
Rabgya monastery Data
Add: La Jia village, Maqin County
Free of charge
How to get to there
There is no direct bus to this monastery; there are buses leaving from Xining or Tongde or Guide for Da Wu town that will pass through this monastery, Or by chartered vehicle to get here;