Ping An District, also known as “Tsongkha Khar County”, is a municipal district under Haidong City. It borders Ledu District, Haidong City in east; Xining City and Huangzhong District in west, Hualong County in south, and Huzhu Tuzu Autonomous County in north.
Covering an area of 769 square kilometers, district seat is Pingan Town. Ping An District is one of two municipal districts of Haidong City. It was established in 1979, and it was changed to Ping An District in 2015.
Ping An District was an important post on ancient Tangbo Route and southern line of “Ancient Silk Road”. It is known as “Selenium Capital” on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. It is one of important political, economic, cultural, transportation, scientific, technological, and educational center in eastern part of Qinghai Province.
Best time to travel
From June to October
Temperate continental climate
Most popular sites
Xiaqun Forest Park is only natural forest in Ping An District. “Liu Yue Liu” Flower Festival is held on sixth day of sixth lunar month in scenic area annually.
Hongshuiquan Mosque is one of ancient mosques in Hongshui Village. It was built in Ming Dynasty wih distance of 30 kilometers from Xining city. Total area of Mosque is more than 6000 square meters. Overall building is a typical Chinese traditional Han architectural style, which is significantly different from exotic style of traditional early Islamic architecture.
Xiazong monastery, also known as “Shadzong Ritro” in Tibetan, is in Wayaotai Village. Tsongkhapa, founder of Gelug pa of Tibetan Buddhism, who was only three years old, was taken to this monasteryby his father to be ordained in late Yuan Dynasty. It is a sacred place for eminent monks, and many monks in history had practiced meditation process here.
Former residence of Dalai Lama is located in Hongya Village (also, Taktser), Limeyao Township, where 14th Dalai Lama was born. Dalai Lama’s former residence are all wood-structured buildings. Doors, windows, slabs and beams are decorated with fine carved patterns, which are antique and elegant. Two-story main building on north side is carved with beams and painted buildings. In 1985, whole building was renovated
Geography and climate
Most areas within Ping An District are mountainous areas. Huangshui River flows through entire territory from west to east. Terrain is high in south and low in north, and slopes from southwest to northeast. Most areas are between 2,066 and 2,300 meters above sea level.
Mountains are mostly located in southern of Ping An district with an altitude of 3100 to 4166 meters.
Ping An district has long sunshine hours, strong solar radiation, dry and windy spring, cool summer, cold winter, and four seasons are unclear, annual average temperature is 7.6℃, average temperature of the hottest month is 19.2℃ (July); average temperature of the coldest month is -5.6℃ (January). Rainfall is unevenly distributed during year, with an annual rainfall of 310 mm and a frost-free period of 218 days.
Population and ethnic group
As of 2014, total population of 127,500 people is mainly Han, as well as Hui, Tibetan, Tu, Salar, Mongolian, Manchu, Dongxiang, Tujia, Miao, Yao, Yi, Korean, Baoan, and Uygur. There are 17 ethnic minorities, including ethnic groups, Daur, Zhuang and Bai.
In 111 BC, Han Dynasty army entered Huangshui Valley, and Ping An area was included in Han Dynasty’s territory.
In 60 BC, Ping An area was under jurisdiction of Xidu County
In 581 AD, Ping An area was under jurisdiction of Huangshui County.
From AD 757 to AD 851, Ping An area was occupied by Tubo kingdom
From 1015 AD to 1104 AD, Ping An area was under jurisdiction of local chieftan of Jiao Siluo
During Yuan Dynasty and Ming Dynasty, Ping An area belong to Xining
In 35th year of Republic of China (1946), Ping An area was under jurisdiction of Huangzhong County.
In 1960, Ping An area under jurisdiction of Xining City, and Xining Ping An District was established
In 1978, Ping An County was set up
In 1979, Pingan County was formally established.
In 2015, Ping An County was revoked and Ping An District of Haidong City was established